Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The chewiest ANZAC recipe

As long as I can remember I have been making ANZACS. My Dad loves them and now OH does too. My parents even brought me an antique ANZAC mixing bowl with the recipe printed around the rim, but this recipe is my tried and true and my favourite. It makes the best biscuits, even after 3 or 4 weeks in the cupboard they are still chewy and delicious and will keep for ages. I think I got it off the back of an oats packet many many years ago....

ANZAC Biscuits

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup plain flour
1 cup caster sugar
3/4 cup dessicated coconut
125g butter
2 tbspn golden syrup
1 1/2 tspn bicarb soda
2 tbspn boiling water

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
Melt butter and golden syrup
Mix bicarb and boiling water, add to butter mixture and then add to dry ingredients. Combine well.
Drop tspns of mixture onto a greased oven tray.
Bake at 150C for 15 mins or until golden. They will spread alot and sometimes you end up with one giant biscuit (which isn't a bad thing!) if this happens just let them cool and then cut into squares.
If some of them do break when you try and remove them from the tray (if you are impatient like me and don't always wait for them to cool) simply roll them into balls and hey presto...chewy ANZAC balls!

OH has an aversion to coconut...something about it getting stuck in his teeth so these days I make the recipe without it and they are just as good!

Enjoy!!



Em xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...