Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fantabulous Omelettes and The Case of The Missing Taste Buds!!!

Well to start with, we tried the new and improved version of the wedding cupcakes last night and initially I was disappointed. I put raspberry jelly crystals into the raspberry swirl mix to give it more of a raspberry kick and whilst they were delicious, I still wasn't getting that raspberry-ness...but OH seemed to think he could tell the difference. So just incase he was saying it to shut me up, I took some to work today and purposely didn't tell people what flavour they were...and was greeted with lots of 'ooohh the raspberry in these is delicious'.....I mean seriously what has happened to my taste buds? Is it everything that I'm missing or is it just my rapsberry ones that have bitten the dust...and even that is not awesome, I love raspberries, raspberries and cream, chocolate raspberry brownies, raspberry jam, raspberry ice cream, not to mention I only just discovered the Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm and have barely made a dent in my plan to eat my way through their entire menu...this is a disaster! So I am not entirely sure what to do. I am trying to hunt down some raspberry essence and I might try adding that to the cake mix and see what that does.

Moving on to something that always makes me feel better in a taste bud crisis...Hot Chocolate! I found this recipe a few weeks ago and after a tweek here and there, we have a version that OH is firmly in love with and so far he has had one nearly every day! I must admit though, it is pretty damn good!

You will need

1 cup of skim milk
1 tspn of caster sugar
a small handful of chocolate (I used milk chocolate baking melts)
1 tbspn of cream
marshmallows

Combine milk and sugar and heat in microwave on high for 1-2 minutes or until boiling.
Meanwhile place chocolate into a heat proof mug.
Pour milk mixture over chocolate, add cream, top with marshmallows and serve immediately!

It is so very yummy and great for snuggling up on the couch with. We have also tried this with a bit of creme de menthe or a bit of malibu added in at the end and it is to die for! But for non alcoholic versions you could just use mint or coconut essence!

Earlier in the week we felt like an easy tea so we decided on some omelettes with brocolli (from our own vegie patch!!) and some pumpkin. I am going to try and tone down my excitement here, but these were the best omelettes I have ever made in my entire life...no exaggeration what-so-ever! I think I mentioned recently that I have become a fresh herb convert? Well I had some thyme and oregano in the fridge so we thought we would just make a simple cheese and herb omelette.

We used the following for each omelette:

2 eggs
1 tspn fresh chopped herbs (we used thyme and oregano)
about 1/4 of a cup of grated cheese
1/4 brown onion diced

Combine it all together in a bowl or jug and stir really really well.

Then we cheated and chucked ours in the omelette maker for about 7-8 mins or until they are puffed and golden.

OH added some finely diced tomato to his as well.




And really just the simpleness of the cheese and the herbs was delicious. Previously I have always tried to overload my omelettes with flavour by adding ham and chutney and tomato and garlic and salt and pepper and whatever else I could get my hands on and the result was always lacklustre, but this simple combination was by far the out and out winner. More brownie points for the fresh herbs in my book!

Oh and the brocolli from our garden was spectacular, a bit softer then supermarket brocolli but just bursting with flavour. We boiled ours for about 5-10 mins and just served it with a little bit of butter. Things always taste so much better when you have grown them yourself I think.

And have I mentioned lately how much I love pumpkin? We just cooked ours in the microwave until it was tender and same deal, served it with a bit of butter and it was great. Funny how some of your most memorable meals are the simple ones hey!

What is your most memorable meal?

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...