Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Portugese Salmon with Spiced Lentils

Well yesterday I was sitting at my desk thinking how lucky I was to have made it through winter and into spring without getting sick this year, especially seeing as the majority of people in my office have been struck down by nasty colds and lung infections...yet they still think it is a good idea to come to work and spread the love. And wouldn't you know it, last night my throat started to feel a bit sore, and by the early hours of this morning I was nearly in tears every time I swallowed. So at the moment I am at work but I am going home to bed soon and just to make it better it is a public holiday here tomorrow and I have a feeling I will be spending it on the couch drinking tea...which really doesn't sound that bad but OH and I had planned a bike ride and a picnic in some sort of effort to mend our relationship...

Anyway, last night we had Portugese Salmon and Spiced Lentils which was rather tasty if I do say so myself!

You will need
1 tbspn oil
1/2 cup red lentils
1 tbspn freshly diced thyme
1 vegetable stock cube
1 tspn crushed garlic
1 finely diced carrot
1 finely diced stick of celery
1 red onion finely diced
1 cup water
1 tbsnp lemon juice
1 x large tomato diced
2 x smoked salmon fillets
2 x tbsnps of portugese chicken seasoning

Rub the seasoning into the salmon fillets and place in the fridge while you prepare the lentils.
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft.
Add carrot, celery and garlic, cooking for two mins or until garlic is fragrant.
Add lentils, water and stock cube. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 10 mins with the lid on.
Once liquid has reduced and mixture has thickened, take off heat and add thyme, tomato and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
Cook salmon in fry pan for 3-4 mins on each side or until cooked to your liking.
Serve with lentils.


The salmon really absorbed the flavour of the spices and the lentil mixture really thickened up and was a perfect accompaniement for the fish. To be honest I could have just had a big bowl of the lentils, they were so good! and even OH who is a self confessed lentil hater liked them!

Hope you are all well...I am off home to collapse on the couch with a blanket and a book.

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...