Thursday, January 20, 2011

Baileys and Vanilla Tiramisu

Ok so first of all I need to begin with a confession....I didn't have any Baileys due to a sudden craving for it on Friday night so I used Father O'Learys chocolate liqueur instead and secondly I know I have been mega slack at actually writing about anything except for the recipes. To be honest my life has been a total whirlwind the last month or so and I will be updating you sometime in the next day or two I promise - and I'll throw in a tasty truffle recipe just to keep on your good side :)

So back to the good stuff. OH and I returned from a trip up the coast on Tuesday and I was overwhelmed with the urge to bake, I don't think I have done any baking since my Christmas spree....that's just unheard of and to be honest I was starting to get a bit twitchy, so hence the truffles and something I have always wanted to try - Tiramisu. I made the tiramisu with the idea of it being another one of those desserts that could keep OH entertained while I keep munching my way through the Christmas Pudding. I was a bit concerned that he wouldn't like it due to him having issues with coffee but suprisingly he loved it! So here is how it's done....

Baileys and Vanilla Tiramisu

250g Mascarpone
1/2 cup Icing Sugar
1 cup Thickened Full Fat Cream
2 tspns Vanilla Essence
2 tsp Strong Brewed Coffee, cooled
1/4 cup Father O'Learys or Baileys or any coffee / chocolate flavoured liqueur.
About 23-25 Unibic Sponge Biscuits
Cocoa Powder for dusting

In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine beat mascarpone, icing sugar, cream and vanilla at high speed until mixture is fluffy and very smooth.
In a small, shallow bowl, combine coffee and liqueur. Dip each biscuit into the coffee mixture to let it soak up some of the liquid (2-3 seconds) and place in the bottom of a 8×8 or 9×9-inch baking dish. The bottom of the pan should be completely covered with the biscuits in a single layer You might need to break some up to fit down the sides etc. Do not completely soak the biscuits in the coffee mixture or they will fall apart.
When there is a full layer of biscuits, spread half of the cream mixture on top of them. Repeat with remaining biscuits and cream mixture.
Dust with cocoa powder
Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for at least 4 hours to allow the cream to set and the flavours to develop.

I found that this was delicious after the first 4 hours in the fridge, but the second night the flavours of the coffee and the liqueur and in the cream had really intensified - I'm looking forward to seeing how it's come along tonight!

It is rich so you definetly don't need a big bowl, this would easy serve 8-10.


And I promise to return with an update into a life that has involved some love dramas, some serious shoe heel issues and not nearly enough cupcakes....

Em xx

3 comments:

  1. Ah-mazing! Yum! I have guests coming tonight I am about to go out and get Cream so I can whip this up!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay!! I hope it worked out well, OH is still making his way through ours and I'm still shocked he's eating it - he hates coffee!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who could possibly hate coffee...I absolutely NEED it or I get headaches LOL. I'll be trying this as I have a pack of sponge fingers in the cupboard just waiting to be turned into something great. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...