Sunday, January 2, 2011

Berry Wonderful Delights!

Ok so what do you do when you buy a 1kg box of frozen berries purely because they are only $3 I hear you ask? You make some wonderful goodies with them!

Firsty, my fave brekkie over the holidays has involved chucking a handful of berries in the microwave till they are all syrupy, pouring them over a bowl of no fat yoghurt, and drizzling with maple syrup, totally delicious and filling!

But then, as previous mentioned, I got to thinking about OH and his no pudding eating dilema....seeing as he ate all the ice cream I made, could I really sit there and let him watch me eat dessert all week? Probably not...well I could, but it would definetly lower my enjoyment of the whole thing, so I decided to make a new twist on one of his favourite desserts. I covered the base of a baking dish with the frozen berries, drizzled them with maple syrup (yes I am going through a maple syrup phase...) and poured over a prepared butter cake mix. Chucked it in the oven for about 40 mins and there you have it, Berry and Maple Pudding...oh it smelt and looked delicious!


And this morning, seeing as tomorrow is our last day of holidays, we thought we should get our act together and try our brand spanking new waffle maker (thanks Mum and Dad!!). So I sent OH out to pick some raspberries from behind our shed (I know - who knew we had raspberry canes!!) and I made the waffle batter. The batters in the instruction book were all about seperating this and beating that and blah blah blah, who wants to do that on a Sunday morning? Instead I made this recipe which makes 4 large waffles.

1 1/3 cups self raising flour
2 tspns baking powder
2 tbspns sugar
2 eggs
1 tspn vanilla
1/2 cup milk

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine egg, vanilla and milk and add to mix. It will make a fairly thick mixture so don't be alarmed like I was at first!

Then you just pre heat your waffle maker and spoon it in, as it's a thick mixture, I just put a big blob in the middle and try and spread it out as best as possible, but remember it will spread out on its own.


So this morning we had them with fresh raspberries, maple syrup (I really must see someone about this....) and a dollop of light cream (I never knew they had light dollop cream either, I'm so behind!) and they were delicious! It's going to be very hard to go back to frozen raspberries and store brought ones because the fresh ones are just heaven!

Just a few quick and easy ways to make some berry-licious treats!!

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...