Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Caramel Bread and Butter Pudding

You know secretly I think OH is enjoying this whole 'I'll make you whatever you want for dessert to make up for me having pudding' thing because last weekend when I asked him, instead of the standard 'i dunno' he said 'oh well I had a look in the recipe folder and (pause while he rifles round in the kitchen cupboard looking for the recipe folder - wtf - I didn't even know he knew we had recipe folders let alone where they were!) I wouldn't mind trying this Caramel Bread and Butter Pudding.' Several seconds later my jaw and my mouth re-connected and I said something along the lines of 'oh well yes very well then I haven't made one before that would be good' and kind of quietly babbled to myself while I took the folder back to the kitchen to review the recipe! Now I have always wanted to make a bread and butter pudding and have oodles of recipes for different varieties but given I have never tried one I was unsure of the textures and consistencies and was a big ol' scaredy cat really. But this one looked pretty simple so why the hell not!

Caramel Bread and Butter Pudding

3/4 cup brown sugar
80g butter plus extra for spreading
300ml thickened cream
2 cups milk
4 eggs
3/4 loaf of white bread (crusts removed)
Maple syrup

Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.

Place brown sugar, cream and butter in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until melted and smooth. At this stage is tastes spectacular...resist the urge to eat it all....Set aside to cool completely - preferably in a different room to avoid temptation...

Meanwhile spread one side of each slice of bread with butter. Cut in half diagonally and arrange, overlapping, in a greased dish. Try and arrange them so they look pretty but are kind of well packed in there.

Whisk milk and eggs together in a jug and then add to caramel. Mix well. Pour over bread and if you have time, set aside for 15 mins to absorb.

Place dish in a large baking dish. Pour boiling water into baking dish until halfway up side of smaller dish. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden and just set. Cool for 10 minutes.

Drizzle with maple syrup when fresh out of the oven.

Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream :)


Really not that hard to make and to be honest I had no idea how it would come out, but it was delicious, the custard set beautifully and the bread had soaked up so much flavour and was crispy and golden on top. Massive fan of this one and will be trying some other variations in the future!!

Happy Wednesday :)

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...