Friday, April 8, 2011

Caramelized Apple Pies with Caramel Sauce


OH requested something for dessert this week that involved crispy pastry....talk about leaving my options wide open!! I had something kinda like an apple tarte tartin in mind, although it turned out more like a pie but the thought was there!!

I put 800g of apple in the fry pan with 1 cup of brown sugar, 100g of butter and 2 tbspns of lemon juice and just let it simmer away for about 20 - 30 mins until it was cooked down and the apples were gorgeous and caramelised. Then I lined some ramekins with puff pastry, poured the apples in and folded the pastry down over the top. Finished it off by brushing with some butter and baked for about 15-20 mins or until they were beautiful and golden.

While the pies were cooking, I added about 1/2 cup of thicken cream, 1 tbspn butter and 3/4 cup of brown sugar to the pan with the juices left over from the apple and cooked it down for around 5-10 mins until I had a beautiful caramel sauce - it's kind of like melted jersey caramels! I think this sauce would be great just poured over vanilla ice cream too or hell just eat it with a spoon!

Once the pies were cooked I served them drizzled with some cream and the caramel sauce poured over the top.

They were sooooooooooooooooo good and the smell when the apple was cooking was devine!

Happy Friday everyone!!

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...