Monday, June 20, 2011

Patty Cakes, Lollipops and....Quesadillas?

That pretty much sums up my weekend really...although I will add that on Friday night I had the best vegetarian pizza of my entire life...roast pumpkin, pepper dews, garlic fetta, honey roasted mushrooms all on a pesto base...oh it was good, it was so good.....

But moving on!

I actually had no intention of making patty cakes this weekend, I made OH an orange cake for his lunches so he didn't need anything but I had about 300mls of thickened cream in the fridge I needed to use and when I did a quick search for ways to make it go away, I found this awesome recipe for cupcakes that also gave me the chance to test out my new patty cake pan!!

For these lil babies all you need is:
2 eggs
300ml cream
3/4 caster sugar
1 tspn vanilla essence
1 cup self raising

Combine the eggs and cream in a bowl and beat well.
Add the sugar and vanilla and beat combined.
Add the self raising flour and beat for 2-3 mins or until mixture is nice and smooth.
Pour the mixture into 12 lined cupcake / muffin trays / patty cake trays and bake at 180C for 15-20 mins or until they bounce back when touched. I added some chocolate fudge nutella frosting too :)

This recipe produced such light and fluffy cakes and they are just so adorable!!


And awhile ago I brought a Simpsons lollipop mould for OH because he is Simpsons crazy and I finally got around to making some cherry and some strawberry lollipops for him :)
Lollipops are actually easier to make then I realised! And now that I have my wizz bang candy thermometer they are even easier!!
In a saucepan over low heat, combine 1 cup of white sugar, 2 tbspns liquid glucose and 1/4 cup of water. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar has dissolved.
Add a few drops of food colouring and a few drops of an oil based flavouring and increase the heat to medium high. Slowly bring the mixture up to 300F on your candy thermometer.

It helps if you have a lollipop mould prepared with the sticks in it at this stage and coated with a light mist of oil (not olive oil though as the flavour will end up in your lollipop)

Once the mixture reaches 300F pour into your moulds carefully and allow 10-15 mins to set.

The first time I made these I didn't spray the moulds and they broke :( The second time I sprayed the moulds too much and it made the surface of the lollipop bubbly :( The third time I sprayed them lightly and they came out just perfectly :) :)


And after all that cooking, we needed some dinner...these Ham Quesadillas were perfect, they were fast, simple and tasty!!

To make these delicious treats you will need
150g ham diced
60g of semi dried tomatoes (try and dry as much oil from them as possible)
100g of light cottage cheese
1/2 cup spring onions diced
2 tbspns sour cream
1/2 cup grated cheese
4 tortillas

Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
Heat your sandwich press.
Place 1 tortilla on the press. Spoon 1/4 of the mixture over one half of the tortilla. Fold the other half over and close the press. Cook for 2-3 mins or until golden.
Repeat with remaining mixture and tortillas :)



I hope your weekend was full of patty cakes and lollipops and even quesadillas too!!

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...