Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Whole Orange Cake with White Chocolate Frosting

Remember a few weeks ago when we had that Biggest Morning Tea? Well there were a few oranges leftover on the day and the ladies at work gave them to me to take home requesting that they return in the form of an orange cake :) I had never made one before and to be honest was not a fan of some of the one's I had previously tried but I thought what the hell, I love a challenge!! I looked at alot of recipes for orange syrup cakes, whole orange cakes, orange cupcakes but eventually I settled on this whole orange cake recipe and initially I was going to make an orange syrup to pour over it, but that didn’t quite work out to plan – I’ll explain further down!

So you will need:

1 whole orange
180g butter melted
2 eggs
1 cup caster sugar
1.5 cups self raising flour

Pre-heat your oven to 180C and grease and line a loaf tin.

Cut the orange into quarters, removing as much of the pith as possible. Process all of the orange in the food processor until well pureed.

Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and process until well combined.

Pour the mixture into your loaf tin and bake for 40-45 mins or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.


Now when I was done with the batter for this cake, I had a sample and it was so orangey, like not over powering, but it was definitely strong and I was worried that the orange syrup might just push it over the edge so I had a look in the cupboards and started experimenting! In the bowl of the electric mixer I had about 2 cups of icing sugar and ½ cup of thickened cream. Whilst this was mixing I poured in 100g of melted white chocolate. Now you may want to add more cream / icing sugar to reach your desired consistency. Once it was ready I put the bowl in the fridge and let it ‘set’ a bit while the cake cooked and then cooled. I was really happy with this because it made enough to cover the entire cake and it turned out to be a really good combination. The chocolate wasn’t too over powering, it was just a nice creamy frosting that really complimented the beautiful dense yet melt in your mouth soft orange cake :) The ladies at work loved it and OH even requested one for his lunches (total shock horror here from me....a cake that is a) a cake, b) contains fruit and c) has white chocolate in the frosting!). I think this mix would make lovely cupcakes / patty cakes too.


Happy Wednesday everyone :)

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...