Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Red Wine and Garlic Lamb Shanks

It has been a long couple of days. I think I mentioned a few posts ago that over the weekend I went on a low residue diet in preperation for some scope tests today. This also meant that yesterday I couldn't have any solid foods...all I could have was jelly, and not even the good red and purple kind, just yellow. So in an effort to provide some variety I had pineapple jelly for breakfast, mango jelly for lunch and passionfruit jelly for dinner....sound like every child's dream?! Well not this little black duck. It was good for the first few bowls but right now I never want to see, let alone eat yellow jelly ever again. But seeing as I was on this whole no solid food thing yesterday, I thought it might be nice to take the opportunity to cook OH a treat and for my OH there is no bigger treat then lamb shanks :)


I had an idea in my head, but when you a) have no recipe to go off and b) can't taste test to see how things are travelling it gets a little tricky.

For these Red Wine and Garlic Lamb Shanks I used:

3 lamb shanks (Did I mention OH loves his shanks?!)
2 tbspns plain flour
1 tbspn oil
2 potatoes cut into quarters
2 carrots cut into chunks
1 onion diced
80g sliced mushrooms
2 celery sticks diced
400g diced tomatoes
150g (roughly half a bottle) of Masterfoods Red Wine and Garlic Marinade

Pre-heat oven to 160C.

Combine the lamb shanks and flour in a freezer bag and give it a good shake.

Heat oil in a heavy based casserole dish over medium high heat. Shake off any excess flour and add the lamb shanks. Cook until the shanks are browned and just sealed. Remove shanks and place on a plate.

Add remaining ingredients to dish and cook for 5-7 mins.

Add shanks back into dish and spoon some of the sauce over them, make sure they are well coated. Place in the oven for 2.5 - 3 hours. Make sure you take them out every hour to turn.

Even for a semi vegetarian the smells coming out of the kitchen were just amazing and the noises coming from OH while he was eating them tell me they tasted just as good. I made a fresh loaf of bread so that OH could have the top piece (the most coveted piece of bread in our house) to mop up all the juices....I strongly suggest you do the same :)

Anyway, since they let me out of hospital today and I could eat solid foods again I have been eating like a horse and not only did OH take me out for a spectacular lunch today, but he also cooked up an out of this world chicken parmigiana for tea tonight which I will tell you all about tomorrow because right now I'm off in search of ice cream!!

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...