Sunday, April 1, 2012

Double Chocolate and Caramel Cake Mix Bars

Some days you win, some days you lose....

Yesterday Mr B and I went on my first long ride on the motorbike...we went right down around Woodbridge (where we had a picnic), through the mountains to Cygnet and back up through Huonville. All in all it was about a 3 hour ride, I was so proud and so pleased with myself and I really really enjoyed it. And we stopped to do some skills practise on the way home and everything was looking great.


Today we continued with the skills practise and I couldn't weave in and out of cones, I stalled and I nearly fell off my bike doing a left hand turn....and on top of that my bike was revving really high which meant it kept wanting to take off and meant it chewed through the fuel and all of that meant that I cracked the sulks and called game over for the day.


On top of that Mr B and I had a lovely date planned for this afternoon at The Autumn Festival...and well seeing as he is hiding in the shed and I have my pjs on and am eating these double chocolate and caramel cake mix bars from the pan...I can't see it happening.

Some days, you should just stay in bed.

And some days you should sleep in really late, where your pyjamas around the house all day, make these Double Chocolate and Caramel Cake Mix Bars and watch some cheesy dvd's....you know you do it just as much as I do....


These were another accidental success....I seem to be having a few of those lately, which either means I'm getting very sloppy in the kitchen...or very creative....or a combination of both!

I was all set to make some Rolo Cake Mix Bars...the general idea is you mix your vanilla cake mix with some evaporated milk and an egg so that it is kind of crumbly...push half into a cake tin, top with a block of rolo chocolate and then crumble the rest of your cake mix over the top, bake for 30-40 mins and ta-da! Bars of shortbready, roloey goodness yes!? No....mine basically baked up like a cake with a block of rolo chocolate in the middle...which proceeded to sink to the bottom...and the whole thing fell apart...EPIC FAIL. So I smushed it all up, mixed 2 tbspns of caramel fondant through and left it in the fridge with good intentions of making some Hot Cross Cake Balls for Easter. But the more I thought about it last night, the more I decided I wanted to do something different with them.

Here's how it went down...

1 box of vanilla cake mix
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 egg
1 block of Rolo chocolate
2 tbspns caramel fondant or topping
375g milk chocolate
80g butter
3 tbspns brown sugar
2 tbspns thickened cream

Pre-heat oven to 180C and grease a cake tin.

Combine the cake mix, evaporated milk and egg in a bowl and stir until combined.

Pour half the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Top with broken up rolo chocolate and remaining cake mix.

Bake for 30 mins or until cake is cooked.

Now for something unconventional....pull the cake to pieces....get in there, break it all up, smush it all together and add in the caramel fondant or topping too...really get it all combined. The mixture should hold together well.

Push the mixture into the bottom of a lined loaf tin.

Combine the brown sugar and cream in a microwave safe jug and heat for around 60 seconds, just keep an eye on it because it does tend to rise. Stir well. Continue heating until the sugar is dissolved. Place in the fridge to cool down.

When the brown sugar mixture has cooled, pour over the cake mixture and place in the fridge.

In a microwave safe bowl, add the broken up chocolate and butter. Heat for around 60 seconds, stirring regularly, until mixture is smooth.

Pour over the cake and smooth out.

Place in the fridge to set.


Oh my god...I am sitting here...after having eaten far too much of this slice...but it is heavenly, the combination of textures from the soft chewy cake mix to the gooey caramel layer and the snap of the chocolate top....wowsers...my brain and my belly are in serious debate with each other about wether to have another slice...but in the meantime I'm going to sit here with a big grin on my face and my cup of coffee and contemplate if I should tell Mr B about it...or hide it in the back of the fridge!!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...