Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentines Day 2013 and Strawberry Cheesecake Poptarts

Valentines Day is extra special in our house because it also marks the anniversary (this year it was 4 years) since Mr B and I went away for a romantic weekend and during an early morning stroll along the beach, Mr B dropped down on one knee and asked me to marry him. We obviously don't need to go into the fact that my first response was 'Are you serious?' before I composed myself and followed up with a resounding 'Yes!'
 
Having to work on Valentines Day is never fun, but Mr B and I always make sure we do something special to mark the occasion. Yesterday morning, I popped out of work quickly to deliver a rose and balloon (I couldn't resist the lady bug balloon that said 'Lil Love Bug!') to Mr B's work and had previously arranged for some of the guys he works with to pick it up and take it out to him at the job site. On my way back to work I was pretty pleased with myself thinking I had the upper hand in the surprise stakes....but when I got back to work all of the ladies in the office were dancing around a big white box that had just been delivered with my name on it! I opened the box and felt just a little bit special when I saw that inside were 6 red roses, a teddy bear and a box of chocolates. I really am a very lucky lady. I rang Mr B to thank him for my beautiful gift and as it turns out, he had just received his too! Great minds really do think alike!
 
 
After work we went home and sat up in the pergola watching the lambs play in the yard while we enjoyed a drink and some peace and quiet. Our time after work in the evenings always seems to disappear in a whirlwind of making lunches and washing up and getting dinner ready and it was really nice to just take some time out and sit and relax
 
Like I hadn't been spoilt enough already, Mr B decided he was making dinner and oh my goodness what a dinner it was! Homemade lime and black pepper chicken schnitzel, potato chips and an amazing potato and lime salad - the chicken was moist and melt in your mouth tender, the chips were crispy and golden and the salad was refreshing and super tasty! From what I can gather the salad was made up of 1 cup of diced cooked potato, 1 lime with the skin removed, 2 button mushrooms, 1/3 cup of diced cucumber, 1 small tomato finely diced and a sprinkle of grated cheese.
 

Seeing as Mr B pulled out all the stops with dinner, I thought I better whip up something a little bit fancy for dessert.

Strawberry Cheesecake Poptarts - Makes 4

2 sheets of shortcrust pastry cut into quarters
1 punnet of strawberries finely diced
70g cream cheese softened
1 tbspn caster sugar
1/2 tbspn thickened cream
icing sugar and extra cream to serve

Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, cream and caster sugar until smooth. Set aside.

Take 4 of the pieces of shortcrust pastry and using a skewer, trace the outline of a small heart in the centre of each one. When you are happy with your heart, use the skewer to cut your design out. You can keep the heart shaped pastry to cook up later on - maybe use them as decoration on top of pies?

Spread the remaining four pieces of pastry (the ones without the heart cut out of them) with the cream cheese mixture leaving a 1cm border around the edge. As you can see from my photos, it doesn't have to be spot on though.


Place 1.5 tbspns of your diced strawberries on top of the cream cheese mixture.

 
Place one of the pastry pieces with the heart cut out over the top of your strawberry mixture. Use a fork to seal the edges.
 
 
Place 1 tbspn butter in a microwave safe jug with 1 tspn caster sugar. Heat on high for 10 seconds and stir to combine. 
 
Brush the tops of your pastry with the butter mixture. It doesn't matter if you brush the strawberries as well.
 
Place the tray in the oven and bake for 15-20 mins or until pastry is golden. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and dusted with icing sugar.
 
During the cooking the cheesecake mixture will bubble up through the strawberries making these an absolutely delicious dessert, perfect for Valentines Day! It wasn't until this morning that we both went 'oh hey, they tasted like pop tarts!' Duh.... Anyway, I would also like to try them using nutella instead of the cheesecake mix because well who doesn't like nutella and strawberries!

 

Happy Valentines Day!

 
Mr and Mrs B xx
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...