Friday, May 31, 2013

Pink Lemonade Bars

This week while I've been off work I've been trying to do a little bit of work from home whenever I feel up to it. Initially I thought I would pretty much get five solid days of work in and knock off everything on my list plus more, but the way things have been going I've only been able to do an hour or so in the morning, have a rest and then I get this burst of energy at about 5pm when I manage to squeeze in another few hours.

All in all I have really enjoyed working from home. Even though I have only been managing a few hours a day, it's been so much more productive without the constant interruptions working in an office can bring. Plus it's just nice to be home I think. I wish I could do it all the time, you know, minus the whole surgery thing! This is where I set myself up for work each morning.


And when I needed a rest, I spent my afternoons curled up on the couch with a heat pack, a hot coffee, a brioche roll and caught up on some reading.


Yesterday I decided it was about time I did some baking. All of Mr B's supplies were running rather low and it was either that or I start sending him to work with a lunch box full of egg, flour and milk and hope it miraculously turned into something edible before morning tea time....


I found this recipe over at Smitten Kitchen and have been meaning to make it for ages now. I loved the sound of a pink lemonade bar but for some reason I always just assumed that they were going to be complex to make and just kind of kept putting them in the 'I'll make that next week...' pile.

Wouldn't you know it, they were actually really easy....I mean I am having trouble just doing the basics like having a shower and washing up this week so for me to say this is simple in my current state, it's got to be like super duper do it with your eyes closed kind of easy.

And you're reward for next to no effort (aside from having to clean your microwave out but I'm thinking that will just be me and not effect you in the slightest....) is a gorgeous soft buttery shortbread base topped with a not too tangy, not too sweet layer of raspberry lemony goodness.


To make these Pink Lemonade Bars you will need:

For the base...
1/4 cup caster sugar
115g butter, softened
1/8 tspn table salt (only necessary if you use unsalted butter)
1 cup plain flour

For the lemonade layer....
1 cup of raspberries, fresh or frozen
2 eggs
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup plain flour

Pre-heat oven to 180C and line a 20cm x 20cm baking pan.

Now you may as well start with the raspberries because that's the fun part.....said no one ever.
Heat the raspberries in the microwave in 40 second bursts until they are falling apart. Strain to remove the seeds. Place the syrup in the fridge until you need it. Sounds simple you say? Yes well...I left my raspberries to do their own thing in the microwave and they kind of boiled up and went everywhere....pay close attention to your raspberries people!

Ok, back to the base. Combine the sugar, butter, salt (if using) and flour using a food processor. Process until a soft dough forms. Press the dough into the base and slightly up the sides of your baking pan. It doesn't have to be pretty and it doesn't have to go all the way up the sides, just enough to form like a little lip when you pour the lemonade layer in. Place in the oven and bake for 15 mins or until the edges are starting to lightly go brown.

In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and lemon juice. Add 3 tbspns of the raspberry puree and the flour. Mix until smooth.

Pour the lemonade mixture into the crust and place the pan back in the oven for roughly 25-30 mins or until they are set. Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan and cutting.


Enjoy!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...