Friday, June 14, 2013

Caramelised Onion, Mushroom and Gouda Toasted Sandwich

Everyone loves a good toasted sandwich.

In our house the usual go to combination is cheese and chutney or cheese, ham and tomato.....personally I am quite partial to cheese, tomato and tuna or cheese and vegetarian sausages but Mr B has never been thrilled with either of those ideas.

Seriously I only just managed to convince him to make my all time favourite cheese and vegetarian sausage special when I was recovering from surgery a few weeks ago  and I am 100% confident that if I hadn't just undergone surgery 3 hours prior, he would have screwed his nose up and refused.

For the record - it was an awesome sandwich.

Toasted sandwiches are usually our go to easy dinner or occasionally our go to 'I'm starving' lunch, but never before have we ventured into mushroom toasted sandwich territory. It was an argument I just wouldn't win. So when Mum and Dad came for tea this week, I made these Caramelised Onion, Mushroom and Gouda Toasted Sandwiches and they were a hit, even Mr B loved them!


Caramelised Onion, Mushroom and Gouda Toasted Sandwiches - Makes 4 sandwiches

8 slices bread
400g mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 onions, diced
Balsamic Vinegar
2 tbspns olive oil
Salt and Pepper
8 slices gouda cheese

Pre-heat oven to 200C.

Combine the mushrooms and onions in an oven dish. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Mix it all up and place in the oven until the onions are nice and caramelised. It took about an hour in my oven but I suggest checking it regularly.

Once the mushrooms and onions are done to your liking, you can assemble your sandwiches. Pre-heat your sandwich press (or melt 1 tbspn of butter in a fry pan) Take one piece of bread, top with a slice of gouda followed by a quarter of the mushroom mix and finishing off with a slice of gouda. Top with the final piece of bread. Repeat with remaining mushroom mixture and bread.

Place the sandwiches in the sandwich press (or fry pan) and cook for 3-5 mins or until golden.

Serve with salad.

Enjoy!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...