Sunday, July 28, 2013

Mocha Fudge Cake with Cappuccino Buttercream

A few weeks ago I was asked if I would mind making a birthday cake for one of the ladies I work with.

Would I mind?!

I mean seriously, it's like these people don't know me at all....

Any excuse to make a cake.

This occasion called for a combination of chocolate and coffee and I had the perfect thing in mind - a moist deep rich chocolatey cake with just a hint of coffee topped with a fluffy light cappuccino frosting.

I had my concerns seeing as I was kind of just making it up as I went along but you know what? The end result was amazing. Even Mr B, who is a non-coffee lover loved it and that is saying something!


Mocha Fudge Cake

1.5 cups caster sugar
125g butter
1 cup water
1 tbspn coffee
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 tspn bicarb soda
1.5 cups self raising flour
2 eggs

Pre-heat oven to 180C (160C fan forced) and grease a round cake tin.

Combine butter, sugar, warer, cocoa, bicarb and coffee in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring mixture to the boil and simmer for 5 mins. Transfer mixture to a bowl and allow to cool.

Add flour and eggs and mix until smooth. Pour into pan and bake for about 50 mins or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 mins to cool before removing.

Once cool, top with Cappuccino Buttercream.

1 tspn coffee dissolved in 1 tbspn boiling water
125g butter, softened
1 tspn vanilla essence
2-3 cups icing sugar
1-2 tbspns milk

Beat butter using an electric mixer until pale and creamy.

Add icing sugar, milk, vanilla essence and coffee mixture. You may need to add more icing sugar to get the right consistency but basically beat until you get a smooth and fluffy texture.


Enjoy!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...