Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Mushroom and Parmesan Gratin



Last night when we went to Mum and Dad's for dinner I was feeling very proud of myself. You see I had been super organised and lodged our groceries for next week online all ready for collection later in the week.

Imagine my surprise when Mr B and I walked in the door, greeted by the smell of somethign incredible in the oven....and then I noticed the recipe on the bench. The EXACT recipe I was going to cook when Mum and Dad came for dinner next week and the EXACT recipe I had just purchased all the ingredients for.

I mean honestly, what are the chances??

Actually I imagine they are pretty good seeing as Mum and I get the same magazines and often read them together, picking out the things we want to make. We are probably lucky it hasn't happened prior to now!

And do you know what annoys me the most?

It was DEE-LICIOUS!

The crispy parmesan topping paired with the creamy thyme and mushroom filling is just divine, I could have polished off the whole thing without a second thought!


Mushroom Gratin

2 tbspn olive oil
600g button mushrooms, sliced
400g portabello mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, diced
2 tbspns crushed garlic
1.5 tbspns fresh thyme leaves
2 tbspn red wine vinegar
1/2 cup thickened cream
1 tbspn butter
3 eggs
1/2 cup parmesan

Pre-heat oven to 260C or 240C fan forced.

Heat a large fry pan over medium high heat. Add the oil and the mushrooms. Cook for 12-15 mins or until mushrooms are tender.

Add the onion and cook for 3 mins or until softened. Add the garlic and thyme and cook for a further 3 mins. Stir in the vinegar and reduce heat to medium.

Add the cream and butter and heat gently until cream beings to simmer. Season with salt and pepper and pour into a baking dish.

In a bowl combine the eggs and cheese. Season with salt and pepper and whisk well - the mixture should be slightly foamy. Gently pour over the mushroom mixture.

Bake for 10-15 mins or until the egg mixture is just cooked through and golden. Serves 4-6.


It took me a little while to figure out what I was going to create with 1kg of mushrooms next week, but after spending far too much time on Pinterest I think I have it figured out....and in the mean time Mum and I will be coordinating our dinners from now on!

Enjoy!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...