Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Zucchini, Cheese and Chorizo Twist


I am ashamed to say that this recipe almost never happened.

It is actually one of the very first recipes I carefully cut out of a magazine, placed in my folder and vowed I would some day make.

But then every time I was flicking through the pages looking for inspiration I just couldn't shake the idea that it looked either difficult or bland and so I passed it over time after time.

Last week I decided to just bite the bullet and try it, if it was no good then at least I knew and if it turned out well then it might encourage me to try some of those other recipes I keep overlooking.

It didn't turn out good.

It turned out super awesome.

I don't know why I thought it might be difficult because it was really quick and easy to throw together and whoever said it looked bland is clearly not thinking straight because between the cheese, the chorizo and the eggs there are so many different flavours going on in this thing it's unbelievable. And so many different things you could do with it too -  next time I'm planning on adding some semi dried tomatoes and fetta to the rice mixture for a mediterranean touch.....but in saying that the original version is pretty damn good and I feel it is going to very hard to beat!


Zucchini, Cheese and Chorizo Twist

3 large zucchini, grated
1 onion, diced
2 tspns crushed garlic
1 cup cooked white rice
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tbspn crushed wet basil
2 sheets shortcrust pastry
100g chorizo slices
3 hard boiled eggs, peeled and halved
Milk

Pre-heat oven to 200C / 180C fan-forced. Grease and line a large baking tray.

In a frying pan over medium high heat, combine the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 mins or until onion has softened.

Add the zucchini and cook for 3-5 mins, stirring regularly. Drain any excess liquid from the pan.

Combine the rice, cheeses, basil and zucchini mixture and season with salt and pepper.

Place the two sheets of pastry on the prepared tray, overlapping about 4cm. Gently press pastry together to seal.

Arrange the chorizo in the centre of the pastry leaving a 7-8cm border on all sides.

Spread half of the zucchini mixture over the chorizo. Lay the hard-boiled eggs over the zucchini mixture in a line down the centre. Top with the remaining zucchini mixture.

Using a sharp knife, make cuts in the pastry on the long sides surrounding the filling at 2cm intervals.

Start by bringing the ends of the pastry up to enclose the filling and then bring alternating strips up and over to enclose completely.

Brush with a little bit of milk and bake for 30 mins or until golden.


And say hello to delicious-ness!

This was equally good cold - I may have had a nibble straight out of the fridge - so I think it would also make a great addition to a picnic basket!

Enjoy!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...