Sunday, December 1, 2013

Happy Birthday Mr B!

On Friday it was Mr B's birthday and after the minor incident last year when Mr B refused to take the day off and I had a bunch of flowers and balloons delivered to his work, he happily agreed not to go in this year.

I was up bright and early to make Mr B his favourite cooked breakfast. My original idea consisted of eggs, bacon, toast, haloumi, chipolatas, hash browns, mushrooms, tomato and avocado but at the last minute I decided to scale it down because it has been said, although not by me, that sometimes I can get a bit carried away.

Who knows where a crazy idea like that came from?!

Anyway, whilst the bacon sizzled and the kettle boiled, I threw together a Boston Bun and popped that in the oven so it would be nice and fresh for lunch. (It turned out to be THE BEST Boston Bun we have ever had so I will be posting the recipe in the next day or two!)

It was about this time that I realised eggs and bacon is generally not my area of expertise. But honestly I thought, how hard could it be?

It was about this time that I tried to flip my eggs and the yolks burst, and then the kettle was boiled, the toast was cooked, the haloumi and the bacon were done and there was far too much happening at one time for my liking.

Anyway, I stacked it all onto plates and delivered it to Mr B who was waiting patiently for his breakfast in bed. Thankfully, despite looking like a complete mess, everything was cooked perfectly and Mr B has agreed to teach me the ways of the eggs and bacon breakfast for next time!


We spent the morning wandering through some of our favourite shops before we went for a few games of bowling. Mr B won by miles both games.....obviously I had to let him win, it was his birthday after all!


After that it was home for some fresh Boston Bun, a cup of tea and presents!


And then it was time for cake! I have been working on this Homer Simpson Donut Cake on and off for a few weeks now and given it was only my second attempt at working with fondant, I was really really pleased with how it came out, plus the big grin on Mr B's face is priceless and worth every second.


I will do another post in the next few days with some step by step photos of how I made the donut cake and the Homer Simpson and put it all together.


That night we indulged in the ultimate relaxation and went to Gold Class for dinner and to see Thor 2.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR B!

But that is not where the birthday fun ends! Saturday morning we were up bright and early to head down to Lime Bay which is about 90mins drive from home. Neither of us had been there before so we weren't sure what to expect, but as long as there was a camp ground and somewhere for us to go fishing it didn't really matter.

Mr B recently got a new awning for his ute and this trip was the perfect chance to test it out. We were really happy with it as it gives us a bit more shelter when we are sitting outside enjoying the view.


And what a view it was!

It really was a spectacular spot, which was evident by the fact that the camp ground was packed, but when the sun is shining, you are all of 5 seconds walk from the beach and this is the view from your camping spot you really can't complain.



We went for a walk right around the bay and Mr B decided he would try walking out into the shallow water and going fishing. He was not altogether phased by the sting ray that swam past him, even if I did have a complete melt down, but when the little crabs started nipping at his toes, he decided to call it a day!


We spent the rest of the day exploring the Bay and the beach and the rock pools.




And later that evening when the tide was in, we went down to the beach to do some more fishing.


We didn't catch anything, but the view was so beautiful we didn't even notice.

 

Today we took the slow road home, stopping at a few jettys and having a fish along the way.

It was cold and windy but I got to try out my brand new fishing rod which Mr B gave me (I tried to explain to him that it was his birthday and he was the one who was supposed to be getting gifts but he didn't get it.....). She is pink and called a Femme Fatale so I have named her Pearl.....like the pirate ship the Black Pearl....except she is pink and a fishing rod.

It makes sense to me.

Anyway, we are now home, two tired but relaxed little campers, after what has been a lovely weekend.

Now that it is the first day of Summer, we are looking forward to many more camping trips over the next few months!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...