Sunday, December 29, 2013

Potato Bake

I know I've told you about potato bake before, but that was before I discovered THIS potato bake which just happens to be THE best potato bake ever....except for my Mums but let's be honest, you can very rarely make anything as good as the one you remember your Mum making.


For years I avoided making potato bake because even though Mr B loved it, I always tried to find other ways of making it that didn't involve all the cream and milk and they never particularly worked out very well.

Recently I spotted a recipe in my Women's Weekly AWW Cooking School book that involved cream and milk and everything I have avoided putting in my potato bake for years and decided what the hell. After all, you only live once and a good potato bake is absolutely worth it.

This has become one of our all time favourites to the point where when we make it, Mr B goes back for seconds and thirds and the whole dish is gone in one night, but if you can be patient, it is even better the next day.


Potato Bake - Serves 4...or 2....depending on how much self control you have!

1.2kg desiree or dutch cream potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (if you have a mandolin it makes this much quicker and you get beautifully thin slices)
300ml cream
3/4 cup milk
1 pkt dried spring vegetable soup mix
3/4 cup grated cheddar

Pre-heat oven to 180C / 160C fan forced.

Layer the potato slices in a 6 cup capacity baking dish.

Combine the cream, milk and soup mix in a jug, Whisk well to combine. Place the mixture in the microwave and heat for 60 seconds until hot. Gently pour over the potato mixture.

Cover with foil and bake for 30 mins. Remove the foil and bake for 20 mins. Top with cheese and bake for a further 20-25 mins or until cheese is golden. Remove from over and stand for 10mins before serving.

Enjoy!

Mrs B xx

2 comments:

  1. Made this for the first time tonight... amazing! We ate 1/3 and are going to vacuum pack the rest into the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed it :) It's definitely one of our favourites!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...