Friday, December 20, 2013

Streusel Topped Cranberry and Eggnog Muffins

For years now I have eyed off the eggnog that mysteriously appears on the supermarket shelves at this time of year desperately trying to think of an excuse to buy some.

Given the fact that it's just me and Mr B here, I'm not sure why I didn't just buy some 'because I wanted some?'

I think I was worried I wouldn't like it and would then be stuck with this carton of eggnog awkwardly staring at me from the fridge every time I opened it.

Never mind the fact that I had had home made eggnog when I was younger and loved it, but this store brought caper was a whole new ball game.

Anyway, when I saw this recipe that combined cranberries (Mr B's favourite) and eggnog, I knew I had to try it and as my Dad said 'they taste like Christmas!'


Streusel Topped Cranberry and Eggnog Muffins - Makes 12

2 cups plain flour
3/4 cups caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tspn nutmeg
1/2 tspn baking soda
1/2 tspn salt
1 egg
3/4 cup eggnog
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup fresh or dried cranberries

For the streusel topping
1/2 cup caster sugar
5 tablespoons plain flour
1/2 tspn nutmeg
60g cold butter, cut into pieces

Preheat the oven to 175C and line muffin pans with paper liners.

Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Make a well in the centre and add the egg, eggnog, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Stir until just combined. Gently mix in the cranberries.

To make the topping, combine the sugar, flour, and nutmeg in a small bowl and combine. Add the butter and rub it into the dry ingredients using the tips of your fingers until the texture resembles wet sand.

Spoon the muffin batter into the lined muffin tins so that they are 3/4 full and then top with a generous service of the streusel topping. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


Enjoy!

Mrs B x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...