Sunday, December 15, 2013

Toy Run 2013

Last weekend was the 2013 Toy Run which happens to be one of my absolute favourite times of year.

If you have never heard of the Toy Run before, it is an annual event where thousands of bikes ride together to Hobart's waterfront with toys and food to donate to local charities who then hand it onto families who are struggling this Christmas. The roads are blocked off, the streets are lined with families who come out to watch the bikes and the atmosphere is incredible.


When we woke up last Saturday the sun was shining and I was up faster than a kid on Christmas morning. I couldn't wait to get my bike out and hit the road with Mr B and my Dad.

We went for a bit of a ride before heading over to Mum and Dad's for a BBQ lunch. Sunshine, burgers AND the toy run? I was a super happy girl.

The ride leaves from the Derwent Entertainment Centre so we got there early and spent an hour or so wandering around looking at all of the bikes.

When it was time to go, we all lined up waiting to hit the road. It can take ages to get out of the car park, but once you're out then you can't beat the feeling of seeing all the families lined up and waving to you (I am the Queen of waving at the Toy Run, even if I did get a cramp in my waving hand!) and the noise from all the bikes thundering up the highway. Plus there is nothing that melts my heart more than seeing big burly bikers strapping teddy bears and tinsel to their bikes.


When we arrived at the waterfront, it was completely transformed. All of the roads were blocked off and every inch of free space had been filled with a bike.


We spent a few hours walking around, looking at the bikes, catching up with people and just soaking up the sun.

Another awesome toy run and I'm already looking forward to next year's!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...