Thursday, February 6, 2014

Steak Sandwich Salad

I am always on the look out for hearty salads that I can serve Mr B without leaving him starving or picking through the piles of lettuce leaves in search of some sustenance. Plus during the warmer months, I quite enjoy having a salad for dinner and secretly I think Mr B does too. 

I first stumbled across this recipe for a Steak Sandwich Salad in the newspaper a few weeks ago and then when it popped up again in a magazine I was reading I took that as a sign that I was destined to give it a try. 

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by this salad. I mean I thought it would be nice, but I wasn't expecting it to be THE BEST salad I have ever eaten....but it was, oh it was. In my opinion the roasted cherry tomatoes are the star of this dish, but every element on that plate just works beautifully together to create the perfect hearty salad, and if you're feeding it to boys, it doesn't hurt that it tastes just like a steak sandwich!  


Steak Sandwich Salad - Serves 2 

100g sourdough bread, torn into 
3cm pieces
250g cherry tomatoes
120g swiss brown or button mushrooms, halved
1 tbspn crushed garlic
1 leek, cut into 1cm 
thick rounds
1 tbsn balsamic vinegar
1 tbsn brown sugar
1 tbsn water
500g steak (I used a pepper and worcestershire steak I found at the supermarket but regular scotch fillet would be fine)
1.5 tbsn sour cream
3-4 tspns lemon juice
1 tspn wholegrain mustard
2 cups shredded lettuce
Grated parmesan to serve

Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.

In a jug or small bowl, combine the sour cream, lemon juice and wholegrain mustard. mix to combine and season with salt and pepper. Place in the fridge until you're ready to use.

Scatter the bread on one of the prepared trays and spray with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 8-10 minutes or until crisp and golden. Set aside to cool.

Place the tomatoes and mushrooms onto the second lined tray and spray well with oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. I just leave mine in there until the cherry tomatoes are beautiful and blistered and starting to get a bit of colour.

In a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat, cook the leek for 5 minutes or until golden. Add the vinegar, brown sugar and water and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes or until caramelised.

Meanwhile heat a large non-stick frying pan or barbecue over medium high heat and add the steak. Cook, 
turning regularly, for 5-7 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Allow the steak to rest for 2 minutes before thinly slicing.

Whilst the steak is resting, you can start assembling your salad. Divide the lettuce between two plates and top with the croutons, tomatoes, mushrooms and caramelised leek. Top with the steak and drizzle with the dressing. Sprinkle with a small amount of grated parmesan cheese and serve.

Enjoy!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...