Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Cherry and Chocolate Chip Blondies

Do you believe in love at first sight?

I do.

You see when I first saw this recipe for Cherry and Chocolate Chip Blondies I just knew I had to make them. Actually it was before I even saw the recipe (I'm shallow like that....), it was a photo of these blondies bursting with juicy cherries and chocolate chips that won me over and despite Mr B insisting that he did not like cherries in any form except glace, I decided to make them anyway.

This recipe is super simple to throw together and I really love the big chunks of cherries combined with the subtle sweetness from the blondie and the chocolate chips, plus I think the inclusion of fruit makes a nice change to your regular chocolate chip blondie. Don't be fooled into thinking you are limited to cherries though, oh nooooo, this is one versatile recipe - you can use blueberries, strawberries, raspberries or a combination of all of the above depending on what's in season (or clogging up your freezer!).  I'm thinking dark chocolate and raspberry blondies....blueberry and white chocolate....oh the combinations are endless!

And do I even need to mention the fact that 'cherry hating' Mr B LOVES them and whole heartedly refused when I said I would save him 'suffering through them' and take them to work (sorry girls!).

We have been taking these as lunch box treats but I also think they would be incredible served fresh from the oven with a dollop of cream.


Cherry and Chocolate Chip Blondies - Makes 12

115g butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1 cup plain flour
3/4 cup chocolate chips (I used a mix of dark, milk and white chocolate chips)
1 cup cherries (or combination of raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries; fresh or frozen)
I used whole frozen cherries because I wanted big chunks of fruit but you can chop the fruit up if you prefer smaller pieces

Preheat oven to 175C and line an 8x8inch pan with baking paper.

Melt the butter in the microwave on medium high for about 60 seconds.

Add the brown sugar and stir to combine.

Add the egg, vanilla, and stir to combine. Add the flour, salt, and stir until just combined. Be careful not to over mix the batter as it will make your blondies tough.

Gently fold in the chocolate chips and the fruit (if you use frozen fruit, ensure it is still frozen at this stage or it will bleed through your batter). Pour the batter into your prepared pan and smooth it lightly with a spatula.

Bake the blondies for 27 to 32 minutes or until the edges begin to slightly pull away from the sides of the pan and the center is set.

Once cooked, let your blondies cool for at least an hour before slicing and serving.


Enjoy!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...