Sunday, May 4, 2014

Italian Risotto

As the nights here get colder, I recently found myself craving a big bowl of hearty risotto.

I immediately remembered a recipe I posted last year for Italian Mozzarella Stuffed Arancini  and set about making some minor alterations to it. I decided to use the basic risotto recipe from the arancini and bulk it up with some roasted cherry tomatoes, zucchini and some spinach.

I was really pleased with the way this dish turned out and I love that it is so simple to make yet full of colour and fresh flavours. You just can't go passed basil, tomato and mozarella in my book!


Italian Risotto - Serves 4

1 tbspn oil
3-5 cups of chicken stock
1.5 cupc arborio rice
1 onion, diced
1 tspn crushed garlic
1 tbspn Gourmet Garden Italian Herbs
1/3 tspn chilli
100g thinly sliced / shaved mozarella
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 tbspn butter
250g cherry tomatoes
1 x zucchini thinly sliced
150g baby spinach

Pre-heat oven to 200C. Place the cherry tomatoes and sliced zucchini on a baking tray. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Place in the oven for 15-20 mins or until tomatoes are blistered and zucchini is cooked.

Meanwhile, cook your risotto by heating the oil in a fry pan over medium high heat. Add onion and cook for 3-5 mins. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2-3 mins.

Add the rice and stir to combine.

Add 1 cup of stock and cook until absorbed. Repeat with remaining 2-4 cups of stock. This should take around 15-20 mins. The rice should be tender, but still firm to bite. If the rice is not yet cooked, add another 1/2 - 3/4 cup of water and cook until absorbed.

Stir through the chilli, herbs, parmesan, butter, tomatoes, zucchini and spinach. Season with salt and pepper.

Top with shaved mozarella to serve.

And before I go I just wanted to share this recipe of the dinner we had at Mum and Dad's last week - steamed green beans, roasted smashed potatoes and curried vegetarian mince - pure winter comfort food at it's finest and you can bet I inhaled every bit of it!!


Enjoy!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...