Saturday, May 24, 2014

Spinach and Yoghurt Sauce

A few weeks ago I was lying on the couch flicking through the channels waiting for something to take my fancy. As usual there was nothing on and just when I was about to give up and have a nap, a cooking show caught my eye.

I'm a sucker for any sort of cooking show plus I noticed that the lady was making lamb chops which are ALWAYS guaranteed to win brownie points with Mr B......except for that time I attempted to make spiced lamb chops and overdid the cinnamon effectively turning them into cinnamon donut lamb chops.....

Anyway, the thing that really intrigued me was not so much the lamb chops, but the Spinach and Yoghurt Sauce they made to accompany them. The sauce looked fresh and vibrant and I could not wait to try it out, plus I could do it under the proviso of cooking Mr B a special lamb chops dinner (hello brownie points) and serve it over some chicken for myself - totally win-win!!


Spinach and Yoghurt Sauce - Serves 4

150g fresh baby spinach (you can certainly use frozen spinach, I have tried it both ways but I think you get a better flavour using the fresh stuff)
2 tbspns olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
1 tbspn crushed garlic
Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
Pinch mexican chilli powder
200g Greek or Natural yoghurt
lamb cutlets or chicken breast to serve

In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over a medium heat and add the onions and garlic. Once the onion is soft and translucent add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes or until the spinach has wilted.

Add the spinach mixture to a food processor and puree. Now add the lemon juice and zest, and mexican chilli powder and puree again until very smooth. Add the yoghurt and briefly process until combined. Season with salt and pepper. If you find your food processor is not quite doing the job (like mine) you can also use a stick mixer like a bamix.

Serve sauce over grilled lamb cutlets, chicken breast or fish.

You could also do a slight twist on this recipe, as suggested by my Mum, and reduce the amount of yoghurt to 120-150g, making the sauce a little thicker and ta-da you have a beautiful fresh Spinach and Yoghurt Dip.


Enjoy!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...