Sunday, July 20, 2014

Homemade Pasties

Recently I had a craving for pasties. Not just any pasties but THE pasties I remembered from my childhood. The ones Mum and Dad would dish up with a side of chips and sauce for dinner a couple of times a year.

Yes, they came out of a box.

Yes, they were vegetarian.

And no, I don't know why I remembered them all of a sudden but once I did I had to have them.

And as is usually the case, you can't buy the ones from my childhood any more which left me with no option but to make my own.....and for the sake of Mr B, I added a little bit of mince.

We got a whopping 24 pasties out of this recipe which is great, it means for all of about an hour in the kitchen, I had dinner sorted for that night, plus enough for 3 more dinners to go in the freezer. We have already demolished this batch but I'm thinking these will be great to make right before bub arrives for some easy dinners when we get home from the hospital.


Pasties - Makes 24

3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
1 turnip, peeled and cut into chunks
1 onion, peeled and sliced
350g beef mince
1/2 cup corn
1 tbspn worcestershire suace
1 tbspn thyme
Salt and Pepper
1/2 tspn curry powder
6 x puff pastry sheets
1 egg, lightly beaten

Pre-heat oven to 200C.

Process the potato, carrot, onion and turnip using a food processor.

In a bowl combine the mince, vegetables, corn, worcestershire, thyme and curry powder. Season with salt and pepper.

Cut each pastry sheet into 4 x rounds (12 - 15cm).

Place a tbspn of mixture into the centre of each round. Lift the two sides of the circle together over the filling and pinch together to make a frill.

Place on a greased baking tray and brush with beaten egg. Repeat with remaining pastry, filling and egg.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 mins or until golden.

To re-heat frozen pasties, place in the fridge overnight to thaw. Pre-heat oven to 175C and cook for 20 mins or until hot and crispy. For the sake of your crispy pastry do not, I repeat do not, re-heat in the microwave.


And Mr B used some of the pastry scraps to make these little jam filled hearts for dessert - so yummy with cream and ice cream!

Enjoy!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...