Saturday, August 2, 2014

The Crispiest Chicken Ever!

More often than not I find myself so preoccupied with cooking meals that are new and exciting, I forget about the tried and true classics.

Every now and then Mr B has to remind me that there is nothing wrong with dishing up meat and 3 veg for dinner and I have to say it usually takes me until I'm sitting down enjoying the meal to agree with him.

I don't know why there is such a stigma attached to the humble meat and 3 veg, I mean more often than not it's simple to throw together, requires little preparation and is versatile in terms of allowing you the freedom to change the meat or the vegies to suit a variety of budgets and tastes. I'm sure I say this every time we have it (and then promptly forget!) but I really do need to remember to cook this more often.

Recently, after being told by my Dad that it would result in the 'crispiest chicken ever', Mr B whipped up some chicken schnitzels for dinner, but instead of using our go-to panko breadcrumbs, he used crushed up cornflakes. I have always been a bit hesitant about the whole using crushed up breakfast cereal to coat my dinner side of things, but after trying these schnitzels I am absolutely 100% converted. Not only are these schnitzels oven baked but they really were super crispy and tasty!


Crispy Baked Chicken Schnitzel - Serves 2

2 x large chicken breasts
1/2 cup plain flour
1 egg
1.5 - 2 cups crushed corn flakes
Seasoning of choice (optional - we added a 20g pkt of roast chicken seasoning which was lemon, roast garlic and onion flavoured)

Use the palm of your hand to push your chicken breast out to a nice thin schnitzel. (You can pound it with a meat mallet, but I find this way gives it the end result a better texture).

Combine the cornflakes with the seasoning and place on a plate.

Whisk egg in a small bowl.

Place flour on a plate.

Coat 1 piece of chicken in flour, shaking off the excess. Dip into the egg and then coat in the cornflake mixture. Refrigerate for 20-30 mins.

(Meanwhile, chuck some veggies on the boil )

Place the chicken on a baking tray lined with baking paper and cook for 20-25 mins, turning halfway through or until golden.

Serve with steamed or boiled vegetables and enjoy!

Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...