Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Break Time

Now I know I have been a little slack with my blog posts lately but despite the whole being on maternity leave thing I seriously just have not had the time.

Sure I could have made the time, but it would have been at the cost of something else and I have really enjoyed the down time, the lazy weekends with Mr B, the long walks in the sun, the who cares if we have spaghetti on toast for dinner again attitude.....

I know it's not going to be easy and my immediate future is filled with sleep deprivation but I can't wait to experience every little bit of it.

There is just so much that I am looking forward to like all those milestones from first smile to first words to first steps, not to mention quality family time and lazy weekends at the park and picnics and pyjama days and pancake Sundays.....

I have thoroughly enjoyed writing every entry of this blog and learning and creating and sharing great meals with even better people. I love seeing our books show up in the mail every year and am proud of the collection of Love, Shoes and Cupcakes cookbooks on my shelf, but the truth is I just don't know how this will work going forward. It might. It might not. It's a massive unknown for me.

So what I'm trying to say is that I am going to take a break for a little while and just enjoy getting to know our little TJ but please know that over the last 4 years I have appreciated every reader and every comment.

In an effort to go out on a high today I thought I would share with you not one but two meals - both are very basic, but in my opinion they can't be beaten.

Mr B and I were both pretty excited when this Chicken with Lemon and Rosemary dish came together as Mr B is a through and through meat and three veg man and I always had this notion in my head that meat and three veg was...well you know....kind of boring and should be avoided at all costs.

But this dish provided meat and FOUR veg, enough flavour to burst out your eye balls and it was nowhere near boring. Plus when you serve it up followed by the Butterscotch Pudding you have yourself a fully functioning grown up menu sure to please even the fussiest of eaters.


Chicken with Lemon and Rosemary - Serves 2

1 tbspn olive oil
2 x chicken breast fillets
1 heaped tbspn crushed garlic
2 cups chicken stock
Juice and finely grated rind from one lemon
1 tbspn chopped fresh rosemary leaves
1 tspn cornflour
1/4 cup cream
Steamed vegetables to serve

Heat oil in a large frypan over medium high heat and cook the chicken for 4-5 mins each side or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate.

Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 2 mins. Add chicken stock, lemon rind, lemon juice and rosemary. Bring to the boil.

Return the chicken to the pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered for 10-15 mins or until chicken is just cooked, turning half way through. Transfer chicken back to a plate.

Combine the cornflour with 1 tbspn cold water and add to the pan. Bring to the boil whilst stirring constantly. Once mixture has thickened slightly add the cream and season with salt and pepper. Return chicken to pan and cook for 2-3 mins, turning to coat in the sauce.

Serve chicken drizzled with sauce and steamed vegetables.

In my opinion this Butterscotch Pudding is like a giant golden syrup dumpling, only lighter and in self saucing pudding form.....I apologise for the lack of photos, I've made this several times now and it either disappears too quick or we are just so keen to dig in that all ideas of taking photos go out the window, but trust me you will not be disappointed......except when you realise you've eaten it all and there is none left....

Butterscotch Pudding - Serves 4

1 cup self raising flour
3/4 cup of caster sugar
pinch of salt
60g butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
2 tbspns golden syrup
1.5 cups water
1 tbspn brown sugar
30g butter

Pre-heat oven to 180C and grease a 6 cup capacity oven dish.

Sift sugar, salt and flour into a bowl. Combine melted butter and milk and add to dry ingredients. Stir well to combine. Spoon mixture into prepared oven dish.

Combine the remaining butter, golden syrup, water and brown sugar. Heat on the stove top over low heat or in the microwave until melted and combined.

Pour the sauce mixture over the back of a spoon over the pudding to cover. Bake for 35-40 mins or until cake on top is golden and bounces back when lightly touched. Serve with lots and lots of cream!


As always, enjoy!

Mr and Mrs B xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...